Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Golden?

"Golden" by Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy is an American rockband from Chicago that was formed in 2001. The band consist of Pete Wentz, Patrick Stump, Joe Trohman and Andy Hurley. We personally like this band a lot, because they make lyrics with deeper contents, and they have amazing voices.

Here's "Golden", one of our favorite songs of Fall Out Boy

How cruel is the golden rule?
When the lives we lived are only golden-plated
And I knew that the lights of the city were too heavy for me
And though I carry karats for everyone to see

And I saw God cry in the reflection of my enemies
And all the lovers with no time for me
And all of the mothers raised their babies
To stay away from me

Tongues on the sockets of electric dreams
Where the sewage of youth drown the spark of my teens
And I knew that the lights of the city were too heavy for me
(too heavy for me)
And though I carry karats for everyone to see
(everyone to see)

And I saw God cry in the reflection of my enemies
And all the lovers with no time for me
And all of the mothers raised their babies
To stay away from me
And pray they don't grow up to be me








What are these lyrics really about?


Pete in the band has been depressive since he was 6-year old, and still hasn't come to terms with it, and wrote this song.


We believe that the lyrics are about Pete Wentz himself, and also an eye-opener for everyone else to see behind the curtains to the perfect world, and the image we are all trying so hard to reach. We think the first sentence “How cruel is the golden rule” describes this point perfectly. Further, he sings “And I knew that the lights of the city were too heavy for me, though I carry karats for everyone to see”, explains that he was aware of the challenges on his way to achieving fame, and that even he didn't manage to avoid the “golden rule”. 


The chorus's message is that God is ashamed of him, and that with a hectic life of a full-time artist, all the people you once cared about and loved, have found new lovers, or new friends. He sings about his pressure on himself and his fear for being a bad role model for the kids. 


In the second verse, we believe that he's trying to explain how youth are so close to achieving their goals, and that they have such a big possibility if they try hard enough. 


We think this song is kind of a warning for those who seeks the spotlight, or just hope for richness. No real love, fake hopes, everyone that judges you, and at the end a disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment